Thursday, March 02, 2006

Healthy Dinners


Let's get something straight: I hate cooking dinner. I dislike thinking about what to have for dinner. I can't stand going to the grocery store and trying to remember all the ingredients for any one dish all at once. "You could use a list!" I hear you saying... yeah well ... I try. I write'em and forget'em. That's my style. If left to my own devices I'd likely eat crackers and cheese at every meal until someone from Public Health intervened.

And look out! Public Health just might. When you click on the link check out the second entry on the page. "Basic Shelf" is an egregious waste of taxpayer dollars and a nice kick in the face to people on public assistance, to boot!

I am astounded at the content of this program that purports to "teach participants to prepare low-cost, nurtritious meals" by showing them sample grocery lists and explaining how to use a recipe. (I kid you not.. little arrows point to each recipe segment, and give explanations like: "The header is the name of the dish," and "The serving number indicates how many servings the recipe will make.") There are also two full pages of handwashing instructions because, you know, people on welfare are such dirty pigs.

Chock-a-block with full-colour, glossy clip-art tomatoes, this package tells participants everything from how to chill leftovers to how to deal with the fact that sometimes you just can't go out for dinner even though you might really feel like it. How life-altering!

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the opening instruction in the Training Manual that will be given to future teachers of this Grocery Seminar. It said:
You should start out by telling the students that you know they are likely under some stress right now. You understand that they might be having issues with their landlord or with money or their children. Although you can't help them with any of those things, at least they won't have to be stressed about food anymore.
It's just so... cheesy.
Pass the saltines.

2 Comments:

Blogger Someone said...

you can leave a comment by clicking (ironically) on the "0 Comments" button

Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Cameron Stevens said...

You're an opposite to me in the cooking dinner area. I don't mind cooking it, but I hate needing to cook it. I sincerely wish my girlfriend would do some cooking.

Lately I've taken to buying what I call crap but it's simply easy food. Throw it in the oven for 20 minutes and it's done, but the objective is to simply get out of the kitchen so I don't snack.

My mother, a new Kingston-area resident, was always a Canada Food Guide follower drilled this guide's importance into me... I think she drilled too far, it fell right out the other side.

I do what i can to cook a balanced meal and eat right and eating cheap is difficult. Funny how fresh food is so expensive. The store-brand, canned, ravioli, spaghetti, and the like are the staples of the under-priviledged or low-income household. Peanut butter is supposed to be cost-effective but it's dangerous to others in schools. Tough break for everyone. (I love peanut butter, but it could kill my daughter).

As for government mis-spending, it's rampant. The trouble is that private business needs to start taking up the reigns. Corporations should be doing a lot more to share their wealth, just as Bill Gates, and that Canadian Online Gaming mogul who is helping rebuild schools in Costa Rica.

On a slighly different note, I have been barraged by various pamphlets recently about giving up meat. I think there's a PETA member stalking me. It's expensive and time-consuming to become vegetarian, let alone vegan... The scary thing is that with Bird Flu and Mad Cow maybe they're right. I would hate to find out PETA was right.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home